b'ST. JOHNS ANGLICAN CEMETERY TOURThose interested in local history, par- the four corners of the community and was ticularly in Cartwright history will haveearlierknownasTooleysCorners.Itwas an opportunity to take part in a guidedrenamed Williamsburg and then Blackstock. tour of the St. Johns Anglican CemeteryJohn Tooley, another hotelkeeper was an in Cartwright. Irish pioneer and Anglican. He is buried in Local historian, Paul Arculus will bethe St. Johns cemetery along side his wife conducting a tour of this cemetery as partSusan. of the St. Johns Cemetery Memorial ser- The new St. Johns Anglican Church was vice on Sunday September 8 at 2:30 p.m.officially opened and dedicated in July 1876. ThiscemeteryisthefinalrestingThe land occupied by the original 1851 placeofmanyoftheareaspioneers.church and its manse was sold. However, the IrishProtestants,survivorsofthepo- cemetery remained and is still in use today.tato famine of the 1830s, originally set- The1876AnglicanChurchbuildingin tledCartwrightTownship.AlmostallBlackstock, was closed in 2016 and the con-of those who settled in Cartwright weregregationwascombinedwiththeChurch Anglicans.oftheAscensioninPortPerry.The1876 St.JohnsAnglicanChurchinCart- building was sold and survives today as a wright was one of the first churches of this denominationcomfortable residence. in this region of Ontario. The St. Johns Anglican Cemetery is located at 3791 Work on the building of the church began in 1851 onEdgerton Road, just over a mile directly east of Blackstock.Concession 5, one mile east of present day Blackstock.The walking tour of the cemetery will take place fol-The wooden frame church was ready for worship in thelowing a memorial service, which will be conducted in fall of that year and was dedicated by the first Bishop ofthe cemetery beginning at 2:30 p.m. The general public is Toronto, John Strachan.cordially invited to attend. Unfortunately the church was subjected to the scourge of fire in 1876. A new brick church was built, that same year, not on the site of the old one, but right in Williamsburg (present dayCartwright Sports & Blackstock).The land for the new building was donatedRecreation Inc.sby James Fluke, a devout Anglican and owner of the Royal Hotel, sometimes called the Australia House, at the south-east corner of the main intersection of the village. Fluke also owned 200 acres east of the four corners, on the north side of the road. In addition he owned property in Cadmus, which included a sawmill and a gristmill. He$ 00was Reeve of Cartwright in 1847 and was a captain in the5 .local militia.Fall Festival (under 2 free)The present day village of Blackstock grew around& Classic Car ShowSaturday, October 5th, 12-5 pmCLASSIC CAR SHOW HORSE & WAGON RIDES50/50 Draw & prizes Through the park and scenic trailsCHILI COOK-OFF LOONIES-IN-A-BALERegister your chili early Search through the straw bales KIDS FUNZONE for looniesActivities, crafts & games BBQ & BAR Adult/Student volunteers LOCAL VENDORS always needed. Products for sale throughout the day STUDENTS! Earn Visit www.cartwrightfi elds.ca for more info volunteer hoursIn the early years, BlackstockOne of the earliest burials inContact Katrina Wotten firstname.lastname@example.org called Tooleys Corners1846, belonged to the infantor Wilma Wotten email@example.com this is the grave of children of Ralf and Maryto sign up for Chili Cook-Off, be a Vendor or lend a helping hand.John Tooley. Edgerton.FOCUS - SEPTEMBER 201927'